Get Organized For Good!
Happy new year! Have you considered how to make this year better than last? January is GO (Get Organized) Month. Like many others, maybe you made a New Year’s resolution to get organized. It is now the second half of January. Are you still on track?
Creating resolutions is easy. Keeping them can be challenging. If you resolved to get organized (good for you!), you need to make it a lifetime commitment — the same as with any behavioral changes like losing weight or quitting a bad habit. As areas become organized, quick and easy maintenance keeps them that way.
Here are 9 tips to keep you inspired.
1. Motivation is essential, not just to start but to continue.
2. Make a plan with smaller steps and decide how best to stick to it.
3. Schedule time to carry out tasks and avoid interruptions so things get done.
4. Decide what is important to do and at least do those.
5. Procrastination prevents action so try to overcome it by focusing on results.
6. Let go of any fears like having to make decisions to get rid of things, not finding things after they are moved, regretting getting rid of some things, how long it will take to do (the time will pass anyway so think how much you could accomplish as it passes) or any change in general. Done right, these should not be concerns.
7. Reward yourself when you reach milestones.
8. Enlist someone to cheer you on but also hold you accountable.
9. From time to time ask yourself: Were you better off functioning as you did or would you be better off by getting organized? If it’s the latter (and I sincerely hope it is), close your eyes and imagine the many wonderful benefits of being organized. Really, close them! Picture being able to consistently find what you need when you need it, put things quickly where they belong because all things have homes, get things done on time, be punctual — and have drop-in visitors without hyperventilating!
Product of the Month
Identity Theft Protection Stamp
If you dislike using shredders to destroy confidential information, you may like the Identity Theft Protection Rubber Stamp. It is a self-inking stamp that has a 1″ x 2-1/2″ black pattern to make printed information unreadable. Hide your name, address, social-security number, account numbers and more. The one pictured here has a two-sided ink pad that doubles the number of uses and life of the stamp pad. Also consider getting an extra stamp pad or two if you buy the stamp. This stamp is available here at Amazon.com for $9.95.
Note: I recommend using a shredder to destroy confidential data but I know some people will not use one. This product (or shredding scissors featured in the August 2012 blog) are alternatives.
Quote of the Month
Anything you cannot relinquish when it has outlived its usefulness possesses you, and in this materialistic age a great many of us are possessed by our possessions. ~Mildred Lisette Norman (a.k.a. Peace Pilgrim)
Product mentions are provided as a courtesy. No endorsement by An Organized Approach™ is made or implied.